Animal Welfare Student
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Manager, Municipal Law Enforcement Services (Animal Welfare Services), the student’s primary responsibilities are:
- Leads the Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) program within the London community
- Educates the public about community cats, TNR, and the City’s TNR Program
- Works closely with the public within the City of London to organize, plan, locate, humanely trap, and transport community cats for spay/neuter at the City Animal Hospital
- Releases unsocialized community cats back to where they were trapped when recovered from surgery
- Assists with transferring adoptable cats to the London Animal Care Centre for foster or adoption
- Focuses on empowering the public to participate in the TNR process
- Provides a “full circle” approach, ensuring that kittens are not removed from their mother and that all cats in an area are trapped and neutered
- Assists veterinary technicians and the veterinarians with animal care, surgical, and medical procedures at the Animal Hospital
- Maintains confidentiality of customer/client personal information
- Provides assistance with research and the compiling of information related to TNR and community cats
- Other duties as assigned
Enrolled in an academic program related to Veterinary Assistant/Technician and/or a related discipline of study.
Must be a current student enrolled in full-time studies returning to school full-time September 2023 and/or require this placement to graduate from an academic program.
Specialized Training & Licenses
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience working with the public
- Familiarity with data bases, spreadsheet and work processing
- Valid “G” driver’s license (use of a personal vehicle with paid mileage may be required)
- Previous experience working with a municipality or another level of government is an asset
$16.92 - $23.90 (Level 3)
This posting is for 1 temporary full-time student from May-September 2023
Current hours of Work: Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 4:30pm
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
Our hiring process is in accordance with the Mandatory Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administrative Policy
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.