POSITION TITLE: Companion Animal Hospital Assistant TYPE: In-person
DEPARTMENT: Animal Care
REPORTS TO: Veterinarian, Animal Care
TERM OF POSITION: Six (6) month commitment
TIME COMMITMENT: 1 visit per week, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; shifts available every day except Saturday
ACCESSIBILITY: Fully accessible workplace
The Companion Animal Hospital Assistant position supports the Animal Care Department of the Hamilton Burlington SPCA. The primary role of this position is to support the Companion Animal Hospital, where shelter animals receive a continuum of care and just in time care for emergency and urgent cases. This role is perfect for someone interested in giving back to their community and is someone who has animal care experience as a Veterinarian Technician, Veterinarian Technician Assistant, and/or experience with patient care at an Animal Hospital.
• Support the veterinary team by preparing for day surgeries, tasks include: preparing vaccines and microchips, laying out surgical packs, transporting patients to surgery, organizing animal records and getting home care packages ready
• Monitor patients’ recovery following surgery and track observations to be shared with the veterinary team
• Perform general housekeeping duties, every shift you will: clean and disinfect all items in the kennels, laundry all soft items to keep everyone warm and cozy, empty out and changing litter, sweep and wash floors, and dispose of garbage and/or recycling, as needed
• Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, valid within 3 months of start date • 1-2+ years of Veterinarian Technician, Veterinarian Technician Assistant, and/or experience with patient care at an Animal Hospital
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Fear Free Certification, an asset
• Animal Training Experience, an asset
• Proof of Annual Rabies Vaccination, an asset
All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
This position may require lifting up to 20lbs without assistance.
This opportunity is open to individuals over the age of 18 years old.
More about this role
The successful candidate will be committed to service to community guided by the Five Freedoms and the human animal bond. We encourage individuals from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, Two Spirit, LGBTQIA+, First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, BIPOC, and people living with disabilities to apply.
Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process please contact
Why volunteer for the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA?
We are guided by the human animal bond; we strive to keep people and their pets together, help community members be the pet parents they want to be, and always be a voice to those who need us.
We support over 100+ volunteers, 100+ community partners and over 10,000+ community members annually who rely on our programs and services.
While many people may think volunteering at the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA means hanging out with pets all day, that is only a part of what we do. There is a lot of behind-the- scenes work that is not only exciting, but very rewarding. At the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA we ensure that the change we are making in our communities inspires a movement rooted in animal welfare. Ultimately, our volunteers will provide a better world for animals and the people who love them.
For more information about our volunteer program please visit www.hbspca.com