Job Ad: Student – Livestock Assistant – Dairy Cattle and
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Student – Livestock Assistant – Dairy Cattle and Feed Ingredients
Job Term: Temporary (1 position) for up to 18 weeks
Location: University of Guelph or Guelph OMAFRA
Salary: $16.35/hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in
the Ontario Public Service? This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in
livestock production, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to
learn about production systems within the livestock sectors in the province.
• Assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of
Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) livestock staff.
• Projects will be related to alternative feed ingredient projects, dry cow housing, cost of production,
• Field work will include farm visits and assisting with the collection of on-farm data and/or samples for
research projects, data analysis and project development
• Assist in the coordination of various events, programs and projects (e.g., workshops, demonstrations,
field days etc.) working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
• Conduct literature reviews and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
• Office work may include providing customer service assistance, assisting with issues management,
research, data collection and database management, assisting with the production of technical
information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, scanning images, using social media,
writing and reviewing factsheets, reports, publications, using spreadsheets, etc.
What are we looking for? Please review the qualifications for this position:
• Able to apply interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team and participate in meetings.
• Able to apply observational skills and attention to detail for field work, data collection and data entry.
• Able to apply written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g., reports, factsheets,
• Familiar with computer-based software applications including MS Office to perform data entry, conduct
analysis, prepare reports, prepare information for our website, track and compile information.
• Can work in barn and outdoor environments with some physical activity involved, including light lifting.
• Able to work independently or as part of a team.
• Can plan, organize, and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
• Familiar with farming and livestock production.
• Willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
• Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver's Licence.
How to Apply:
• Demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly,
completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
• You must be a resident of Ontario on the first day of employment.
• You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• You must be between 15 - 24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
• You must be a student (currently enrolled and returning in Sept. 2022, on a known academic break, or
graduated within 6 months of first day of employment).
• Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to email@example.com in any of the
following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Although
electronic applications are preferred, you can provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
Tom Wright, Dairy Cattle Specialist, OMAFRA
Dept. of Animal Biosciences, Bldg #70 Rm 238
50 Stone Rd East
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact Supervisor, Tom Wright at (519)
Posting Date: January 18, 2023
Closing Date: February 3, 2023
We thank all those who apply; however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.