** APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEB 17TH **
Job Ad: Student – Livestock Assistant - Swine
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Student – Livestock Assistant - Swine
Job Term: Temporary (1 position) for up to 18 weeks
Location: Stratford OMAFRA Resource Centre or Guelph OMAFRA
Salary: $16.35/hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in
the Ontario Public Service? This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in
livestock production, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to
learn about production systems within the livestock sectors in the province.
As part of our African Swine Fever planning and preparedness initiatives, you will work with industry
partners to develop and deliver workshops for producers on how to set up an on-farm emergency plan. You
may also work directly with producers and industry to assist producers with developing farm specific plans.
Other duties may include:
• Assisting in the coordination of programs, projects and events (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, etc.)
working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
• Office work may include providing customer service assistance, assisting with issues management, data
collection and management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters,
updating web pages, using social media, writing and reviewing fact sheets.
• Conduct literature reviews and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
What we are looking for? Please review the qualifications for this position:
• Able to apply interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team and participate in meetings.
• Able to apply observational skills and attention to detail for field work, data collection and data entry.
• Able to apply written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets,
• Familiar with computer-based software applications including MS Office to perform data entry, conduct
analysis, prepare reports, prepare information for our website, track and compile information.
• Can work in barn and outdoor environments with some physical activity involved, including light lifting.
• Able to work independently or as part of a team.
• Can plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
• Familiar with farming and livestock production.
• Willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
• Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver's Licence.
How to Apply:
• Demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly,
completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
• You must be a resident of Ontario on the first day of employment.
• You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• You must be a minimum of 15 years of age on the first day of employment.
• You must be a student (currently enrolled, returning in Sept. 2023, or graduated within 6 months of first
day of employment).
• Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to firstname.lastname@example.org in any of
the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Although
electronic applications are preferred, you can provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
Laura Eastwood – Swine Specialist
Stratford OMAFRA Resource Centre,
63 Lorne Ave E., Suite 2B
Stratford, ON N5A 6S4
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact Supervisor, Laura Eastwood at
Posting Date: January 16, 2023
Closing Date: February 17, 2023
We thank all those who apply; however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted